[Spacewalk-list] Dropping i386 for Spacewalk Server?

r.rigby at leeds.ac.uk r.rigby at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 17:59:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

> Dear users of Spacewalk,
> I was thinking about dropping i386 architecture for Spacewalk server.
> Client tools will be still build and released for i386. But servers
> itself not.
> All current HW is 64bit but Atoms. And Atom is not the best choice for
> Spacewalk. So I do not see reason for i386.
>
> But before I head shot i386 architecture, I'm asking: Does somebody use
> i386 architecture? If yes can you migrate to x86_64? Will you miss i386
> architecture?
>
> I anticipate that a lots of people will not miss i386 architecture, so
> please reply only if you will miss it. Even better if you will write
> your story, why you can not use x86_64.

our spacewalk server is running the i386 version.
the hardware we use is quite old, does not have x86_64 capable cpus,
but is still reasonably powerful, and runs the spacewalk service (and a
few other bits and pieces) well enough.
it allows us to make use of the old hardware, and saves having to buy a
new machine.
however, i can see where you are coming from, and would understand this
move. i expect the effort which goes into maintaining the i386 build is
not relative to the userbase.
it would cause us problems initially - we would be stuck on an older
version until we were able to move to new hardware, but i  guess we could
cope.

hope this information is of some use.

thanks,

richard