[Spacewalk-list] Postgres spacewalk

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 15:10:10 UTC 2011

Are people using spacewalk in a decently large setup and finding the
performance passable?  I'd previously used SW 1.4 Oracle with about 50 hosts
and found it tolerable, but I'm not finding this with 1.4 or 1.5 with
Postgres.

I installed 1.4 Postgres (later upgraded to 1.5), and the performance is
really pretty weak.  Nothing in the webui causes problems, but lots of other
bits seem to hammer the database.  The two setups aren't identical, but if
anything the Oracle hardware is weaker.

'rhncfg-client diff' with a very similar set of config files.

Oracle         7 seconds
Postgres   4m 12 seconds

That's just whacko.  All the load seems to be on the postgres server (I've
split this off from the rest of spacewalk to be sure).

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong with this setup?

I've even disabled osad because that was bringing everything to a grinding
halt.

jh