[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk 1.4 to 1.5 upgrade

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 07:27:17 UTC 2011

On 10/03/2011 07:28 PM, Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> I am at the point of rpmconf -a during an upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5. Not
> realizing I could not go back I have defaulted through each listing. Now
> there seems to be no way to get back to see the differences.

Choosing default option without thinking is not good way. Rpmconf help
you find rpmsave/rpmnew and can help you to show diff, delete one or the
other, but is not magic wand which automatically pick up best
configuration for you.
Your brain is still needed.

> The first file I hit D on but saw no way to make use of the diff so even
> had I not defaulted I dont see how Id have been able to carry the
> changes over. It seems you have two options. Keep or destroy.

When you use:
 rpmconf --frontend=vimdiff -a
you can press M and merge the configuration files manually.
You can use more frontend differs - I personally use kdiff3.

> Running rpmconf -a again produces no output and I saw neither before nor
> after running this command an rpmnew or rpmsave file for either of those
> listed above.
>
> Is there a way to get back to the state where I can see the difference
> so I can manually copy each line over? Also is there way to make use of
> this diff file other than a copy/paste, scroll, copy/paste, etc?

Well if you merged it previously, then second run will produce no input.
That is how it is supposed to work.
If you want to revert you can use your backup. Etckeeper do good job of
backing up configuration files.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering