[Spacewalk-list] Re-provision guest systems

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at nexstar.tv
Thu Oct 20 19:33:06 UTC 2011

My virtualization is provided by Citrix Xen 5.6, I'm running Fedora 15
guests with default kernels. SW is 1.4 with Oracle XE.

Koan downloads the kernel and initrd, and says to reboot. I issue
'shutdown -r now', and on reboot, anaconda runs and follows the
kickstart, properly registering itself with Spacewalk and reconnecting
back to it's original systemid.

File preservation does not work, and there is no cobbler system record
created. I tried manually copying a system record and editing it, but I
may not have gotten all the right values in for ksmeta and
redhat-management-key. With a system record, I can drop the --profile
part from the koan command, and it works just as well, but file
preservation still does not work.

The only case I can imagine that Xen paravirt would fail is if the
kernel and booting configuration are not accessible to the guest. As
Citrix Xen demonstrates, however, this is not the only way to set up Xen.

Fedora 11 guests on the same Citrix Xen cluster show up as non-virtual
(I presume because of limited pvopts support in old kernels) and have no
difficulty reprovisioning with file preservation working correctly.

Jonathan

On 10/20/2011 01:38 PM, Milan Zazrivec wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2011 20:25:31 Jonathan DeHaan wrote:
>> Is there a particular reason that re-provisioning of guest systems is
>> disabled?
> Spacewalk does support reprovisioning of virtual guest: all except
> Xen paravirtualized guests (it's not possible by definition). Everything
> else (KVM, Xen FV, even VMWare) should work.
>
>> I can install spacewalk-koan on my guest, run 'koan
>> --server=ip.add.re.ss --replace-self
>> --profile=Kickstart:1:SpacewalkDefaultOrganization', and it will
>> reinstall, but it won't run the file preservation code, so I lose my SSH
>> keys.
> So the reprovisioning actually works and it's just the ssh key preservation
> that is busted?
>
> -MZ

Jonathan DeHaan
Linux Systems Engineer