[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart falling in spacewalk 1.5

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at nexstar.tv
Fri Sep 2 17:40:26 UTC 2011

No, I'm still in 1.4, and I have this problem all the time. Of course,
the source of my problem is a little different - I'm trying to save
space by not loading all the packages from the DVD into spacewalk...

If you reposync from
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/os/
instead of from
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Everything/x86_64/os/,
then you get the same 3K packages in your base channel as on the media.
I haven't tried to make that change after the fact, but I doubt that
spacewalk will clear out the extra packages.

Yes, you have to duplicate packages on disk to recreate the repodata.
After the repodata has been recreated, you can delete the extra copy of
the packages that you used to create the repodata.

There is no point in running repo-sync for a base channel after you have
fully populated it. No packages are ever added to the base after the
initial release (this applies to Fedora only and is not necessarily true
of Centos or RedHat), only packages in updates are modified. And
anaconda correctly pulls repodata for updates from spacewalk instead of
the distro tree.

You could also take John Hodrien's approach and move everything to a
child channel. Since anaconda's problem is that it can't see packages in
base that are not referenced by the repodata from the media, it should
be able to pull those packages from a child channel.

Jonathan