[Spacewalk-list] The "official" RHN vs local spacewalk server

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 14:52:31 UTC 2011

On 09/06/2011 10:37 AM, en_ferro at libero.it wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered the wonderful world of spacewalk XML/RPC API. In my company
> currently we
> do not have a satellite/spacewalk local server, we are using directly RHN to
> manage our
> subscription. So I tried to use the example script to connect to https://rhn.
> redhat.com/rpc/api.
> I discovered that many (probably most) of methods do not work, while the
> example based on listUserSystems
> works perfectly. Is it normal that these functionalities are not available at
> RHN or is it more likely a bug
> in my code? For example I simply tried system.listVirtualHosts without success
> :-(

rhn.redhat.com has a much smaller subset of API's - than compared to
Spacewalk and Satellite. The RHN Hosted (rhn.redhat.com) code base split
from Satellite years before Spacewalk is launched. The Satellite team
made a focus to extend out API's provided to the Satellite customers.
RHN focused on other area's more important for services it provides.

RHN Hosted API's exposed are found here:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/Red_Hat_Network/API_Documentation/

Satellite's API's exposed are found here:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite/5.4.1/html/API_Overview/index.html

In short, it is fully expected that these functions are not available at
RHN.

Cliff