[Spacewalk-list] SW shows updates, yum does not

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Mon Sep 12 16:49:31 UTC 2011

Spacewalk 1.4
RHEL5 server
RHEL5 client

I recently updated a system via the Spacewalk GUI and it appeared to all
work as expected. Shortly thereafter I noticed it was showing 82 more
updates available in the GUI. Odd as none of the channels had been
updated.  Apparently newer packages, downloaded long before this client
update was run, did not show up in the update list and were not pushed
out (ie: it installed a slightly older than most current version of
"http" but newer than that which was on the client at the time of update).

This client now shows no updates via client side command line via Yum.
Yet in the Spacewalk gui the packages are listed as requiring an update.

I have cleared out yum entirely with yum clean all etc client side.

The channels are subscribed and available etc.

The channels are not in progress for a repo cache refresh, they all
indicate "Completed".

Spacewalk has been restarted several times.

The only time I have seen anything like this was on RHEL4 and having to
register clients twice. This is a first on RHEL5.

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and how to resolve this?

Thanks.