[Spacewalk-list] Unable to Download Packages from Spacewalk Server

Glennie, Jonathan - 0443 - MITLL jrglenni at ll.mit.edu
Tue Sep 27 19:01:33 UTC 2011

I realized what was going on finally... I had removed the packages from the
channels through the web GUI but that didn't actually remove the packages
from the database, it just unassigned the packages from the channel and kept
the entries lingering around. I finally noticed that in the package
management page, there was a giant list of unassigned packages including the
ones that I had thought I deleted.  After deleting all of those, the
spacewalk-data-fsck wasn't complaining any more and I was able to run a
repo-sync and see the packages available for download on the GUI.

So my biggest question now is this... I want to keep my repo's relatively
light weight, with only the most recent packages available.  I.E. right now
the CentOS 5 base repo shows it has 3566 packages in it and that's all I
want to have.  When new versions of packages come out, I don't want to keep
the old ones.  I realize this can cause problems if I need to downgrade a
package if something breaks during and upgrade, however if that happens I'm
fine with re-imaging machines.  What is the best way to go about doing that?
Is there a setting somewhere that I can set to tell spacewalk not to keep
any old revisions of packages?  If not, what commands could I use to clear
the package contents in spacewalk and let it re-sync the repos on something
like a weekly basis using cron?