[Spacewalk-list] Server profile re-registration problem

Nathan Butcher nbutcher at dtst.com.au
Wed Apr 4 01:43:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a kickstart file which, during the post install phase, determines what extra software channels and configuration channels it wants to join.

(For example, I am using RHEL 5, and for some boxes I want to add vmware tools, or oracle packages, or physical hardware monitoring packages, etc.etc. Each set of software has it's own repository and subchannel)

I have an initial activation key for the base install. This initial registration to spacewalk doesn't add any software channels or configuration channels. In the post install phase I'm currently re-registering with a new activation key in order to enable extra software and configuration channels (depending on what sort of host I want). This ends up creating an extra profile on spacewalk for the system.
This is less than ideal because I end up with lots of duplicate profiles which I then have to clean up later on (essentially removing the "blank" initial install profile). Rather, I'd like to manipulate the current registered profile and just add new channels to it depending on how I'd like it.

Is there a way to do this? Or am I better off having multiple profiles, multiple activation keys and getting the activation key registration right the first time?

Ideally if there was some way to add software and configuration channels to the already registered profile in the post install phase in the kickstart, that would be ideal.