[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk eats up all connections to postgres

Yuriy Demchenko demchenko.ya at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:10:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my spacewalk - after a few days of normal
operation it hungs - 500+ connections to postgres and all of them either
idle or waiting.
I've done some digging and it seems deadlocking postgres when doing
daily action "Show differences between profiled config files and
deployed config files"
I've done select from pg_stat_activity and found 2 types of queries
(besides idle ones), all of them waiting for lock:
> spaceschema | spaceuser |   12482 |             | t       | 2012-12-06
> 00:17:12.884536+04 |
> :                 update rhnServerAction
> :                     set status = 1,
> :                         pickup_time = current_timestamp,
> :                         remaining_tries = 4 - 1
> :                 where action_id = 3503
> :                   and server_id = 1000010015
>
>  spaceschema | spaceuser |   12557 |             | t       |
> 2012-12-06 00:04:15.067366+04 |
> :                 update rhnServerAction
> :                     set status = 1,
> :                         pickup_time = current_timestamp,
> :                         remaining_tries = 4 - 1
> :                 where action_id = 3502
> :                   and server_id = 1000010011
250+ of them. action_id 3502/3503 - "Show differences between profiled
config files and deployed config files"
server_id = 1000010011 / 1000010015 - just usual virtual machine with 11
profiled config files, so nothing unusual - i have another 40+ like them.
in pg_locks - lots of locks with matching pids, some of them "access
share lock", some "exclusive", however i dont really know if it means
anything.
Restart of spacewalk brings it to life, but doesnt solve the issue - on
next day or in 2-3 days it will hung again with similar simptoms.
Any tips what's wrong and how to fix it permanently?

spacewalk-1.8 on rhel-6.3 with postgresql 8.4.13-1.el6_3

--
Yuriy Demchenko