[Spacewalk-list] local/centralized files

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Fri Dec 7 10:52:52 UTC 2012

The system sandbox is where spacewalk imports files from the client to
the server.

For example, you import /etc/resolv.conf from the client using the
import function on the spacewalk server.

This will copy the file into the sandbox of the client system. From
there you can edit the file and then place it either into a
locally-managed channel (aka "system channel") or a centrally managed
channel.

Thus, if you want to deploy the imported /etc/resolv.conf file to many
clients you would copy it to a centrally-managed channel to deploy it
too all those clients and have the same /etc/resolv.conf file on all
those clients.

If, however, you want to use this resolv.conf file only on this specific
system you would copy it to the system channel for that client. For
example, if you have subscribed this client to a central configuration
channel which provides a version of /etc/resolv.conf but you need a
specific, different version on this specific client, you could use this
local-managed version to deploy this special version to this client.

-Gerald