[Spacewalk-list] looking for kernel mangement recommendations

Ree, Jan-Albert van J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl
Thu Dec 20 12:02:07 UTC 2012

I used to do patch management at a big hosting company (all this was with Satellite 5.3 , I'm assuming things like this haven't changed since), where we had 4 system levels (DEV, TEST, ACCEPTANCE and PROD) each with their own schedules.

What I did was

- Make a structure with parent + child channels
- Clone these for each system level
- Subscribe the system to the level applicable
- Now when patch day for a level is up, do a sync from the master channel to the clone channel for that level (either an automatic full or a manual package-by-package, in which case you can hold back whatever you want)
- Apply all updates to the systems for that level

This has the added advantage that systems will always show as fully patched in your system status tab
--
Jan-Albert van Ree

[cid:imaged07af5.JPG at f14ef2f4.4ebba3c2][cid:imaged0de05.JPG at 9ddf42d2.4f8ad5ed]

Jan-Albert van Ree

Linux System Administrator

MSuG MARIN Support Group

MARIN

        2, Haagsteeg

E J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl<mailto:J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl> P.O. Box 28     T +31 317 49 39 11
M +31652598885  6700 AA Wageningen
T  +31 317 49 35 48     The Netherlands I  www.marin.nl<http://www.marin.nl>

MARIN news: Annual student design & sailing contest<http://www.marin.nl/web/News/News-items/Annual-student-design-sailing-contest.htm>

This e-mail may be confidential, privileged and/or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, you should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy from your system.