[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 1.6 Database problem

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 12:37:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, John Hodrien wrote:

>> From a clean start of the services, I visit the overview, systems, then
> channels.  I've done nothing else.  After about a minute or two I start getting
> stuck SQL queries.  Over time these build up until I run out of connections to
> postgres.

Is the real problem here the sheer number of 'idle in transaction'
connections?

For now I've just put a very crufty and wrong cron hack in that at least might
stop me having to restart spacewalk on a daily basis:

*  *  *  *  * root /usr/bin/test `/usr/bin/pgrep -f 'idle in transaction' | *  /usr/bin/wc \-l ` \-gt 20 && /usr/bin/pkill \-o \-f 'idle in transaction'

But this is really just a big pile of wrongness.  Anyone got any tips on how I
debug *why* I'm getting so many transactions that aren't being completed in a
timely fashion?

How many 'idle in transaction' processes are other people seeing with 1.6 on
Postgres?

jh