[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk + Kickstart getting started questions

Jan Hutař jhutar at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 05:34:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:33:34 -0400 visinix the great
<visinix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Question #1
>
> I was wondering if there is any /current/ documentation to get
> kickstart going with spacewalk. Looking at the wiki we have
> this:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToKickstartCobbler
>
> But my concern is that this references version 0.4 and the
> page was updated 2 years ago. Has the setup process really
> not changed that much since?

Hi,
at last section "Quick Start Guide for Spacewalk" seems OK.

> Question #2
>
> In that documentation, one of the first instructions is "Find
> some distribution isos and mount them.".
>
> What ISOs are normally used? Can I just get a CentOS
> {5..6}-min.iso and use that for getting a server running?

If these can be used to install system then they probably
contain vmlinuz+initrd.img (for kickstartable distribution) and
some set of packages (for channel), so it should be enough.

> I plan on not using PXE as most of our infa in virtualized
> (xen), so I think just a bootable cd or media is what I need.
> (please correct me if I'm doing this wrong)

For that, this might be interesting for you:

https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/wiki/Build%20Iso

> Thanks for any help,
> Charlie

Regards,