[Spacewalk-list] how to block yum usage on client systems

Musayev, Ilya imusayev at webmd.net
Thu Jun 7 02:57:04 UTC 2012

My issues is identical to yours.

I'm afraid to give users YUM access as they will begin Installing stuff left and right, bypassing the other system we use for package deployment - HP SA (aka Opsware).

Here is how I'm thinking of addressing it. If devel folks can chime in, i would appreciate it. I would need to download yum source and do either one of three:

Create a plugin for yum that will check if host is locked in spacewalk, if it is, don't do any yum operations.

OR

Modify the RHN plugin for YUM

OR

Easiest but not the cleanest, get yum source code, add a function to check if host is locked in spacewalk via API (pre-main), if it is, exit, if not, proceed.

OR

Totally ghetto approach which will take few hours atmost, create a bash wrapper script for YUM that will check if host is locked via spacewalk API(tiny bit of python involved), if yes, exit. If not, pass all arguments and execute real yum executable.

My python skills are still in it's early ages, if someone can lend a hand, I would appreciate it. If not, I will write what I can - albeit it will stand out from the rest of the code.

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks
Ilya