[Spacewalk-list] Register Suse Systems

Alan Pittman Alan.Pittman at publix.com
Wed Jun 13 20:00:31 UTC 2012

Here's how I manage opensuse, hopefully this helps. This is an answer to similar question a while back.

Hi Chuck,

  I use Spacewalk to manage a couple of opensuse 12.1 machines.

Here's what I've got setup, using 32bit as the example:

Parent Channel:

Channel Name:     opensuse12.1-i586

Channel Label:    opensuse12.1-32bit

Parent Channel:   (none)

Yum Repository Checksum Type:       sha1

Architecture:     IA-32

Update channel (note: I have two child channels, just showing the update channel here):

Channel Name:     opensuse12.1-i586-updates

Channel Label:    opensuse12.1-32bit-updates

Parent Channel:   opensuse12.1-i586

Yum Repository Checksum Type:       sha1

Architecture:     IA-32

Repo for the update channel:

Repo label: opensuse12.1-32bit-updates-repo

Repo URL: http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.1/

To sync the channel, I created a script that I schedule via cron:

[root at taeps001 ~]# cat /usr/local/bin/sync-opensuse12-32.sh

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/spacewalk-repo-sync --channel opensuse12.1-32bit-updates --type yum

When the sync runs, I get a log of messages that look like this:

Package arch x86_64 incompatible with channel opensuse12.1-32bit-updates

You need not worry about them, opensuse places both i586 and x86_64 rpms in the same remote repository. Spacewalk will receive them, but since I'm are trying to sync a 32 bit channel (ia-32), the x86_64 packages just exist in "limbo". Going to "Manage Software Packages" and in the Channel field, select "packages with no channels", the x86_64 packages will display.

If you create an opensuse x86_64 channel and run a sync, these "limbo" packages get pushed into the x86_64 channel. At least, that what it appears to do.

On the opensuse machine, I just followed these procedures: https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients.

The machines don't have internet access, so I manually downloaded the spacewalk-client packages and installed them.

The opensuse client packages can be found here: baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/systemsmanagement:/spacewalk:/1.7/openSUSE_12.1/

Hope this helps.

Alan