[Spacewalk-list] Replicate spacewalk core to another data center for HA

Musayev, Ilya imusayev at webmd.net
Thu Jun 28 16:07:51 UTC 2012

I'm looking for a way to replicate master spacewalk server from one IDC to another - asynchronously.

My setup consists of RHEL5 and Spacewalk 1.7 with CNAME pointing to spacewalk.domain.com - which in turn points to host in IDC1.

I was thinking of using "slony" to replicate postgres 8.4 and rsync the content of /vat/satellite/ to another server periodically. The standby spacewalk 1.7 instance in second IDC wont have its services running until I need to fail over.

When I'm ready to fail over, I break the replication in "slony", change the cname in DNS and start the spacewalk services on standby host, stop spacewalk services on active host.

Are there any other - less complex methods that you know off. I looked into spacewalk replication script, but it only covers channel replications and leaves the clients out.

As always, any suggestion and help is appreciated,

Thanks
ilya