[Spacewalk-list] osad offline as of unknown

rhn-satellite at epperson.homelinux.net rhn-satellite at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat May 19 00:24:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 19:14, Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:02:23 -0400 rhn-satellite at epperson.homelinux.net
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know about spacewalk per se, but according to the Red Hat
>> Satellite doc, 5269 is only in play if you push via an RHN Proxy
>> Server, and only between the Satellite and Proxy (both ways).
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite/5.4/html/In
>> stallation_Guide/sect-Installation_Guide-Additional_Requirements.html
>>
>> In my situation, I'm seeing check-in updated quite regularly, not just
>> on osad startup on the client.  And I see it even if I shut down rhnsd
>> on the client, so it has to coming from activity on the osad
>> connection.
>
> sorry, was indeed the wrong port (been fighting too much with spacewalk
> proxy issues lately). The port is 5222, and you need osad on the clients
> and jabber on the spacewalk server. See
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/node/10818

Just for clarity, initiation of TCP 5222 connections is needed from
client-->satellite.  The satellite does not need to be able to open
connections to 5222 on the client.  All of the "pushes" are actually over
the persistent connection opened by the client to TCP 5222 on the
satellite, so they could be seen as "pulls".

Besides jabberd on the spacewalk/satellite server, you need osa-dispatcher
to broker the connection for osad to be able to talk to jabberd.