[Spacewalk-list] Changing spacewalk hostname

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:12:16 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am trying to change a hostname of a server running Spacewalk and I have
encountered a problem.  My root issue is, I had initially assumed I could
run spacewalk without SSL. (Its within data centre so I not too sensitive
and only currently testing it on dev boxes)  So when I initializing the
database, I did not record the password I used to generate the certificate.

At some point, I changed the spacewalk hostname – needed to do this in
order to use FreeIPA for authentication and that has broken osad and
osa-dispatcher communication.  (jabber can no longer connect to the
server). Took a while to figure out what happened but now I am sure
changing hostname was a not a good idea.

Luckily, looks like there is a script to go fixing all the hostname hard
coded in the system configuration - spacewalk-hostname-rename.
 Unfortunately for me, I have forgotten the password I had used to secure
the certificate  private key. So spacewalk-hostname-rename just bail out
after trying to load the key.  At the moment, looks like my only solution
is to redo the whole thing from start again, having learned the importance
of the certificate used in this project.

I am wondering though, would it be possible to use rhn-ssl-tool to override
the current private key.  I do understand its kind of defeat the
certificate security, but have not found any article online that rule out
that possibility, hence the question

Thanks for advice

William