[Spacewalk-list] Processes involved in package delivery from spacewalk server to spacewalk client

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 23:17:17 UTC 2012

Hey guys,

I am trying to push packages from the spacewalk server to spacewalk
client and its failing with a rather generic error unfortunately

Fatal error in Python code occured [[6]]

As you can see, the above could almost mean anything.  I am certain
the server communicate the clients fine as I can ping them from the
spacewalk management interface and I see the ping logged on the osad
log file.  I have looked around on the logs and I don’t see any error,
well with exception of the apache complaining about the key

[Mon Nov 26 04:16:17 2012] [error] Exception KeyError:
KeyError(139936736331744,) in <module 'threading' from
'/usr/lib64/python2.6/threading.pyc'> ignored
[Mon Nov 26 04:17:17 2012] [error] Exception KeyError:
KeyError(139936736331744,) in <module 'threading' from
'/usr/lib64/python2.6/threading.pyc'> ignored

Is apache involved with package delivery?  Thought this was all yum
stuff?  I had set up my repository without GPG keys and disabled the
use for GPG check from the client (yum client).  That don’t seem to
help.

Worse, I don’t seem to have an ability of updating the GPG details on
the channel after creation so I may have to create and download all
the package again this time making certain I include the GPG key
details

Was wondering, before setting up another channel, would anybody here
know of the top of their head what happen in the background when one
hit the “confirm” button and schedule a package installation?

Would help as I can go backward verifying if every piece of the puzzle
is working correctly

>From what I know, it looks like this

Browser  -> ?? > osa-dispatcher > osad > yum

Is the above correct?

Is yum configuration on the client done through /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date

Up2date is not installed so I assumed spacewalk is using that as
configuration for yum for historical reasons

Thanks in advance for your help

William