[Spacewalk-list] yet another errata clone script

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Mon Oct 15 21:42:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:53:15 -0400
Paul Robert Marino <prmarino1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Franky
> I'm confused by this statement
> "
> we have redhat and centos packages in spacewalk, both can have the
> same package names, which would result in redhat packages being
> pushed in centos channels because of the errata create (and thus
> everything fails) "
> I designed eva-direct-sync.pl specifically to prevent this because it
> was a problem I had experienced with other errata tools such as
> centos-errata.py. this is what Ive always refereed to as cross channel
> contamination, its a treble thing that causes all kinds of issues
> including breaking kickstarts.
> It specifically scans only for packages in the target base channel to
> prevent this and adds to the errata by the ID. please describe the
> scenario where this happens to me so I can fix it.
> Ive tested eva-direct sync.pl on spacewalk servers that have RHEL,
> Scientific Linux, and CentOS channels and I have never run into this
> situation.
> The only way I could see this happening with eva-direct-sync.pl is if
> you put multiple distros in sub-channels of a single base channel. If
> thats the case then you have a very odd nonstandard install.

Hi Paul,

please don't consider this an attack on your script. The script you
provided was partially the base for my script (I used some subs, and
gave you the credit for it, please let me know if you don't like this).
I'm not even sure that it was your script that was doing this,
I think it was the latest centos-errata.py script or so. Your script
did it's job (once I fixed the recursion option), but the code logic is
very hard to follow. And I also found the other script
errata-import.pl, which had better coding logic but lacked other
options, so I just redid the whole thing and made it work the way I
think is easiest for people :-)
I think I still have the latest version of my version of your script,
so if you want this, just let me know. And yes, I know your script does
the errata renaming as well, and indeed just not automatic, but it
didn't suit my needs at the time.

Franky