[Spacewalk-list] use-case for multiple repositories associated with a single channel?

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 07:26:42 UTC 2012

Matthew Patton wrote:
% I can readily imagine the converse; a single repository being a
% component of many channels. But (potentially) different repos being
% part of the same channel?
%
% Or am I think about Channels all wrong? Should I just define say a
% "centos6" channel and associate the 'base', 'update', 'extras',
% 'contrib', 'spacewalk client' repositories to it? I've never seen
% that in real life or in an example. They've always been broken out
% into individual channels and made into a hierarchy of channels.

Yes, you can sync more external yum repos into a single spacewalk
channel:
  Channels > Manage Software Channels > "your_channel" > Repositories
and check as many as you want.

But frankly I don't know a good reason why one would do it. On the other
hand I remeber couple of times centos people put the same package - same
name-epoch-version-release but different build time thus different
checksum - into base and updates. And having two version of the same
package in the same channel makes anaconda cry and die (during
kickstart).

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat