[Spacewalk-list] PostGreSQL Maintenance Guidelines for Spacewalk

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:12:45 UTC 2012

I tend to use the custom foment mentioned here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/backup-dump.html#BACKUP-DUMP-LARGE
but its not bad to do a dump all because the standard pg_dump does not back
up the database user names and passwords

in general though its a good idea to read the full doc
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/backup.html so you can find
the right solution for you.

Also its important to read the documents for your version the links I
included are for 8.4 but some of the options changed in 9.x such as the
warm standby and the addition of the hot standby. I usually read the
version with comments because there usually aren't too many if any and they
tend to be helpful.

Finally If your not too familiar with how PostgreSQL works I highly suggest
you read about vacuuming and analyzing
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/maintenance.html this
section is critical for long term performance especially if you are using
the monitoring. one thing to note while auto vacuum helps reduce how often
you need to do some of these things its not a full replacement for
scheduling the tasks manually especially if there a lot of constant table
updates which is the case if you have the monitoring feature turned on.
I usually do a nightly standard non blocking vacuum analyze nightly and a
full vacuum analyze weakly and and reindex every couple of months for good
measure. but you will need to tune that based on you're environment there
is always a bit of trial and error invloved in getting it right.

Im going to start putting the first presentation together over the next
month or so. ive already got a location and an artist to help me make the
slides more interesting. Im going to wait on scheduleing and sending out
the announcement though I have every thing ready for the presentation.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Boyd, Robert <Robert.Boyd at peoplefluent.com