[Spacewalk-list] coreutils don't update properly via spacewalk

Andy Ingham andy.ingham at duke.edu
Thu Apr 11 14:42:48 UTC 2013

First, let me say that I am very willing to believe that my yum setup is
sub-optimal for the spacewalk context, and appreciate help optimizing it.

Having said that,

We don't have any non-standard repos, generally, and for the clients I'm
checking, there aren't any defined that aren't "spacewalk-managed".

For that reason, we haven't set up the sort of "custom" setup that Scott
describes below.

What continues to confuse me about the issue is that:

(a) when the coreutils packages are in need of updating, GUI-initiated
updates from spacewalk don't work (but a local yum update does)

(b) when the coreutils packages are NOT in need of updating, GUI-initiated
updates from spacewalk DO work

(Sure makes me think it is something specific to THOSE PACKAGES)

I certainly see from that log entry that it is unhappy about the baseurl
for "CentOS-Base", but my reading of the comments for that file
(/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo), indicate that I WANT the baseurl
commented out:

# The mirror system uses the connecting IP address of the client and the
# update status of each mirror to pick mirrors that are updated to and
# geographically close to the client.  You should use this for CentOS
updates
# unless you are manually picking other mirrors.
#
# If the mirrorlist= does not work for you, as a fall back you can try the
# remarked out baseurl= line instead.
#

OR:
Is it the case that for spacewalk-managed clients, there is no need for
ANYTHING in /etc/yum.repos.d/ UNLESS it is a repo that spacewalk DOESN'T
manage?

Thanks again for help in quelling my confusion.

Andy

On 4/10/13 3:27 PM, "Scott Worthington" <scott.c.worthington at gmail.com>
wrote:

On 4/10/2013 14:10, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 03:41:50PM +0000, Andy Ingham wrote:
>> Jan --
>>
>> The following is repeated 4 times at 20 second intervals within that log
>> on a sample host:
>>
>> [Tue Apr  9 09:25:52 2013] up2date
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/sbin/rhn_check", line 385, in __run_action
>>     (status, message, data) = CheckCli.__do_call(method, params, kwargs)
>>   File "/usr/sbin/rhn_check", line 377, in __do_call
>>     method = getMethod.getMethod(method, "/usr/share/rhn/", "actions")
> [...]
>
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 662, in
>> _baseurlSetup
>>     self.check()
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 426, in
>> check
>>     'Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: %s' % self.id
>> <class 'yum.Errors.RepoError'>: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:
>>base
> So, may we assume that your yum is misconfigured and that you have
> something in /etc/yum.repos.d called "base" which does not have the
> baseurl set?

Isn't best practice to alter /etc/yum.conf and change variable
"reposdir" to /etc/yum.repos.d/custom/ and then use symlinks from
/etc/yum.repos.d/custom/ back to /etc/yum.repos.d/ for repos outside of
your Spacewalk? (also mkdir /etc/yum.repos.d/custom)

Perhaps that step wasn't performed on clients and, like Jan said, you
are picking up a repo config in /etc/yum.repos.d/.

#cat /etc/yum.conf

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
reposdir=/etc/yum.repos.d/custom/
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
#bugtracker_url=http://bugs.centos.org/set_project.php?project_id=16&ref=ht
tp://bugs.centos.org/bug_report_page.php?category=yum

# Note: yum-RHN-plugin doesn't honor this.
metadata_expire=1h

# Allow only up to 3 kernels to be installed at one time
installonly_limit = 3

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d/custom