[Spacewalk-list] API calls for new hosts

Anton Pritchard-Meaker anton.pritchard-meaker at kit-digital.com
Thu Apr 11 15:33:47 UTC 2013

Cheers - also available in RHEL5.

From: spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Pierre Casenove
Sent: 11 April 2013 15:40
To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] API calls for new hosts

Thanks a lot!

2013/4/11 Jeremy Maes <jma at schaubroeck.be<mailto:jma at schaubroeck.be>>
Op 11/04/2013 10:25, Pierre Casenove schreef:
Hello,
I have a setup with postgresql 8.4 and 150 clients.
My DB dump (using pg_dump, with -Fc option) is about 1.1 GB.
I still haven't noticed slower operations.
Should I planify VACUUM ANALYZE operations once a month? Could it lower the size of the dump?
Would the script be like:
spacewalk-service stop
su --command "psql -c 'VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE;' -d spaceschema" postgres
spacewalk-service start
?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Pierre

On CentOS 6 there's also a command /usr/bin/vacuumdb available with a bunch of options that basically does that without you having the know the exact SQL commands. (for 8.4 at least, don't know about 9+)

You can run the basic (lazy) vacuum while spacewalk is running, I run it daily in my database dump script before the dump itself. (/usr/bin/vacuumdb --analyze -h localhost -U postgres spaceschema, needs a .pgpass file to work if you don't add the password to the command) My gzipped database is about 300M now for ~50 clients and ~15.500 packages in repos. Can't say if it has a big impact on size as I configured it this way when I set up the database and I've no further postgres experience.

For the full vacuum you'd stop spacewalk and add --full. (Or add "FULL" to the sql command you mentioned)

Regards,
Jeremy

2013/4/11 Anton Pritchard-Meaker <anton.pritchard-meaker at kit-digital.com<mailto:anton.pritchard-meaker at kit-digital.com>>

Thanks I really appreciate this, I'll definitely look into these actions. Downtime is not an issue for my Spacewalk implementation.

I'm pretty new to PostreSQL, so I was completely unaware of all of maintenance tools available which actually sound quite necessary.

Anton Pritchard-Meaker | Unix Engineer