[Spacewalk-list] Exclude packages from installing via client configuration

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 12:40:52 UTC 2013

Michal Bruncko wrote:
% Hi Michael,
%
% thanks for response. I've created clone of selected repository and
% removed unnecessary packages as you told. But the question is how
% this cloned channel stay up-to-date with original channel? I mean
% when there will be new packages/versions synced within original
% channel, how the synchronization will work with cloned channel now?
% As I can see currently no repository is selected within cloned
% channel - but how to keep up-to-date this cloned channel with some
% excluded packages?

Hi Michal,

there are couple of ways:

a) You can add new packages to cloned channel manually on
        Channels > Manage Software Channels > Packages > Add

or

b) automate above via API calls
channel.software.listLatestPackages() and channel.software.addPackages()

or

c) automate via API channel.software.mergeErrata() if your workflow is
errata oriented

or

d) associate a repo with the cloned channel (the same external repo
which is associated with the original channel) and set exclude filters for
it (API channel.software.addRepoFilter()). Just be aware of the fact
that even package excluded via filter can be pulled into channel if it's
Adependency of a different package. (Spacewalk-repo-sync does dependency
transitive closure.)

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat