[Spacewalk-list] Repo update question

Tomas Lestach tlestach at redhat.com
Fri Aug 16 08:33:21 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

As I'm reading the post, I understood your setup in the way your
servers are subscribed to the Sernet repo and to the Spacewalk
channels with the same content as the repo.
This scenario does not have much sense, if you already manage
some content in Spacewalk, you can safely remove the original
repos from your clients.
But I probably misunderstood. In that case, please ignore this
paragraph.

> Now, as per help through an earlier post, I created cloned
> channels of the original Samba channels so as to be rid of
> the x86_64 packages, which I don't use, and which without
> being rid of would cause the updates to my machines to
> fail.  Also works fine.

I mean you can set excludes for repo-sync, so it does not sync
packages you do not want.

> BUT, I noticed after the manual update that my machines
> weren't seeing the new Samba packages.  It was only after I
> 1) deleted the previous version packages in the original
> Samba channels, and 2) deleted the packages in the cloned
> Samba channels, that my machines now saw that updates were
> available.
>
> I understand from the previous post that I have to
> accomplish 2) either manually or via a script.  My question
> though (and sorry it's taken me so long to get here) is
> should newly updated packages replace older ones in my
> original Samba channels (or any channels, for that matter),
> or must I go through this two-step process each time an
> update occurs?

Feel free to leave the previous versions of packages in the channels as well.
There's no need to remove them. They do not harm anything and you then have the option to downgrade to the older version, if the new wouldn't work for you.

Tomas Lestach
Red Hat Satellite Engineering, Red Hat