[Spacewalk-list] Long Delay in Pushing Configuration Files

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Tue Feb 5 05:45:31 UTC 2013

On 05.02.2013 01:13, Paul Brunck wrote:
> I have defined several configuration files and channels and
> associated them with the activation keys for kickstart, which is
> supposed to have the files deploy during installation, however for
> some reason this does not work.  Then after install when I try to

I would suggest you check the installation log to find out why it didn't
work.

> deploy the files using the GUI under systems and choose deploy
> immediately it takes hours before the files actually deploy.  Why the
> long delay?  I have installed all the required spacewalk client tools
> as well as python-ethtool and python-dmidecode required by kickstart.
> Am I missing something?

By default, the rhnsd daemon on the client polls the spacewalk server
every 240 minutes (see /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd) for scheduled actions.
That's why you see the delay.

If you want to get actions done immediately you can run rhn_check. It
will query the server and runs everything immediately.

If you always prefer to push everything to the clients immediately you
could install osad. But I wouldn't do that if you have a lot of clients
because it could mean that you are pushing out updates to a lot of
clients at the exact same time causing your server to overload...

-Gerald