[Spacewalk-list] Problems installing Spacewalk 1.8 on CentOS 6.3

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 17:39:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05:17PM -0500, Paul Raines wrote:

> We are trying to install Spacewalk 1.8 on a freshly installed CentOS 6.3 VM
> following the directions at
>
>   https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall
>
> We first ran into lots of problems related to PostgreSQL.  We
> created a spacewalk user in Postgresql along with a spacewalkdb
> database.The spacewalk-setup would simply fail with "Could not
> populate database.". Finally figured out where postgresql was
> putting its log file and found
> in it the line
>
> ERROR:  permission denied for language c
>
> After googling that I figured out I had to do
>
>    ALTER ROLE spacewalk SUPERUSER;
>
> to get past that error.  After trying the setup again, it failed again with
>
> ERROR:  language "plpgsql" does not exist
>
> So then I did a
>
>    createlang "plpgsql" spacewalkdb
>
> to fix that.  Setup failed again because the database was half made and
> I had to rerun with the --clear-db flag.  At that point I got past all
> my Postgresql troubles.  But the above should really be added to the webpage
> in the "PostgreSQL Pre-Requisites" section.

It's already on the

	https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PostgreSQLServerSetup

page but I've added a short note to the

	https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall#PostgreSQLPre-Requisites

section as well.

> Anyway, the setup got to "Restarting services." and sat there thinking for
> a long, long time before finallying failing with:
>
> Tomcat failed to start properly or the installer ran out of tries.
> Please check /var/log/tomcat*/catalina.out for errors.
>
> So in that file I find:
>
> SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory rhn
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
> LifecycleException:  start: :  java.io.IOException: Failed to access
> resource /WEB-INF/lib/antlr.jar
>
> I am pretty much at a total loss to figure out this one.  One thing I can
> guess is that the 'antlr' spacewalk wants/expects to be installed is not
> installed because of what this 'yum list' results shows to me
>
> Installed Packages
> ant-antlr.x86_64                        1.7.1-13.el6  @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
> antlr.x86_64                            2.7.7-6.5.el6 @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
> Available Packages
> ant-antlr.noarch                        1.7.1-7.jpp5  jpackage-generic
> antlr.noarch                            2.7.6-6.jpp5  jpackage-generic
> antlr-javadoc.noarch                    2.7.6-6.jpp5  jpackage-generic
> antlr-javadoc.x86_64                    2.7.7-6.5.el6 base
> antlr-jedit.noarch                      2.7.6-6.jpp5  jpackage-generic
> antlr-manual.noarch                     2.7.6-6.jpp5  jpackage-generic
> antlr-manual.x86_64                     2.7.7-6.5.el6 base
> antlr-repolib.noarch                    2.7.6-6.jpp5  jpackage-generic
> jakarta-commons-jelly-tags-antlr.noarch 1.0-6.jpp5    jpackage-generic
> maven-plugin-antlr.noarch               1.1-7.jpp5    jpackage-generic
> mojo-maven2-plugin-antlr.noarch         17-5.jpp5     jpackage-generic
>
> Looks like some newer version from the CentOS repo itself is installed
> rather than the one from the jpackage repo.
>
> Any suggestions on what really is wrong and how to fix it?

On my RHEL 6.4 (not CentOS but it should not matter for the purpose
of this case), I have

	# rpm -qa | grep antlr | sort
	antlr-2.7.7-6.5.el6.x86_64

-- package installed from the RHEL, the only package. Please check
your yum installation log to see why the antlr madness got pulled
in into your system.

--
Jan Pazdziora