[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 1.8 Centos/RedHat and mrepo setup

Pieter Thysebaert pieter.thysebaert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:13:51 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm toying with a newly setup Spacewalk 1.8 / Postgresql on a RedHat 6.3
x86_64 machine.

I understand that Spacewalk cannot fetch packages directly from RHN, so
people use 'mrepo' to login into RHN, download packages, and make them
available as a YUM repository.

Is that also the reason why spacewalk setup is run with the
"--disconnected" option? Or does that option have another meaning, ie is
there a scenario where not using that option for my Spacewalk server makes
sense/does something useful?

What I'm also wondering: do people who use mrepo + Spacewalk with RHEL
client machines register their RHEL clients against the Spacewalk server
INSTEAD of registering their machine with Redhat ?
Or what exactly is the nature of the relationship between RHEL clients, the
local Spacewalk server and RHN in such a setup?
Do you only have the "fake" mrepo "machines" registered with RHN in that
case?

I've read conflicting reports on having Centos and Redhat machines
connected to the same Spacewalk installation.
On the one hand, I have found claims that "due to packages having the same
name, but not the same signatures", it's (or was not) possible to have both
Centos and Redhat clients connect to the same Spacewalk server.
On the other hand, I've read at least one post stating "just create a
centos channel, link it to the centos repo, and create a RedHat channel and
link that to mirror (mrepo) of the Redhat repositories".

So: can I connect a Centos client and a redhat client (same version) to the
same spacewalk server, and have both Centos and RedHat channels of the same
base version in that Spacewalk setup (presumably using the two-channel
approach discussed above) when using Spacewalk 1.8?

Kind regards,
Pieter