[Spacewalk-list] Forcing Hypervisor Capabilities on a virtual machine

Mattias Giese giese at b1-systems.de
Fri Jan 25 07:29:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:40:24 -0500
Paul Robert Marino <prmarino1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the first thing is have you tested running a nested kvm
> instances, last I looked it was only possible on AMD CPU's but I may
> be wrong.

I am working with a x220 Thinkpad, it has an Intel Core-i5 (SandyBridge)
and nested KVM is working fine.

> I would try to put the visualization activation key on the VM if that
> works you might be able to do it but I've never tested it. If not then
> you can try manually creating the VM and initially booting it off the
> ISO generated by cobbler. that should work but im not sure how
> spacewalk would handle it.

Well, i have tried that. I created a special activation key for my
test-hypervisor with the neccessary entitlements and i have
rhn-virtualization-host installed and running. Registration itself was
fine, but even after successful registration i am not even able to
enable the Virtualization entitlements for the hypervisor.

> Ive been thinking of doing the same thing my self with OpenStack
> because I'm planning to build a test environment in an OpenStack
> cluster. I would like to create an other instance of OpenStack inside
> the first one so I can test updates to my test environment without
> interrupting other peoples tests, so I would be very interested to
> hear if you get it working.

A colleague of mine is doing exactly that with a Thinkpad with specs
similar to mine. I myself build a virtual OpenStack setup an my Intel
Core-i7 desktop machine and is was running rather well.

Regards,

Mattias

--
Mattias Giese