[Spacewalk-list] Need help with registration problems.

Jon Miller jonebird at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:59:19 UTC 2013

My challenge started with how I created my Distribution. I created my
distribution from the 4G DVD which does not have all of the packages on it.
The interesting part, which I didn't understand originally, is that when my
client began it's kickstart it was reading the repodata that originally
existed on the DVD and wasn't picking up on other packages that I might
have uploaded to the main channel. As I mentioned before, by creating a
separate child channel and selecting it within your kickstart profile, the
client will then activate that channel as an available repo and be able to
find the extra packages you need during the kickstart.

My understanding regarding activation keys vs. channels specified in your
kickstart is that once you activate the key, it will configure your client
to use whatever channel repos you have designated. That will happen during
the %post of your kickstart process, so you want to select the channels
within your kickstart profile so that you can find those packages that are
listed in your %packages section. For me, I plan to keep the selected
channels in sync with both my activation key as well as my kickstart
profile. So yes, it is a timing issue.

-- Jon Miller