[Spacewalk-list] automatic updates after installation

The PowerTool thepowertool_sc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 00:03:50 UTC 2013

Hi Raj,

If you are looking to install updates automatically after installation assuming you have a currently working kickstart you would add yum -y to %post in your kickstart file as has already been covered and you would have:
1.  Boot, kickstart
2.  Install of OS
3.  %post with the yum command executes
4.  Your freshly installed system zooms out to the internet to update (assuming your network installed properly)

Given this is the Spacewalk channel, and granted covers kickstart as a subset of the Spacewalk install, I am going to guess that perhaps you might like something more along the lines of:
1.  Boot, kickstart
2.  Install OS
3.  %post registers your client with your local Spacewalk server
4.  Your freshly installed system automatically updates via your local Spacewalk server

If this is what you are looking for then in %post you need your client regestered:
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients

While I have not yet done this automatically, yet, I have done it manually and am now in the process of testing automating registration and update via kickstart.  Here's what I have for my F18:
http://pastebin.com/KwKbWPkr

Note:  My Spacewalk server is named spacewalk.  You must change the URL to match your server name.  I have not yet figured out how to update the hosts entry via the kickstart file which is my next to-do so that I don't have to use the IP address.  My kickstart file shows the registration with the server name which will not work until I resolve the hosts entry question.

I hope this helps.