[Spacewalk-list] How to force a channel repodata rebuild?

Jon Miller jonebird at gmail.com
Thu May 2 21:01:58 UTC 2013

Troubleshot a puzzling issue this morning with our Spacewalk server.
Kickstarting a CentOS 6 machine worked fine yesterday afternoon and then a
repeat test this morning failed when trying to download the RPM header
information on the libart_lgpl package.

I tried rebuilding the repodata via
removing /var/cache/rhn/repodata/<channel> and triggered a rebuild via
the channel.software.regenerateYumCache() API call. The odd part is that is
seemed to be able to reproduce the same repodata as before and we were
still getting the same error.

Our "resolution" was to remove the package from the channel and then I
initiated a new channel sync with the CentOS vault URL which re-grabbed the
libart_lgpl packages. That procedure had the end result of seeing *new*
repodata. Now our kickstart works again.

So, enough of my story. How does one go about identifying a 'corrupt'
repodata? Or adequately  how do I trigger a complete rebuild without having
to remove/add a package? (I tried
the channel.software.regenerateNeededCache() API call but didn't seem to do
what I was looking for)

Thanks,
Jon Miller