[Spacewalk-list] simple osa ping

J Epperson spacewalk at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Nov 1 21:44:06 UTC 2013

The osa dialogue occurs across a jabberd connection initiated from
the managed system. "Ping" is an unfortunate term for the Spacewalk-side
connection check. I can say that the jabberd connection is somewhat
fragile and we've seen many instances where the managed system thinks it
has a connection open but the the Spacewalk server thinks there's no
connection. IIRC, it's a lingering CLOSE_WAIT situation. I've seen
workarounds of restarting osad hourly on the managed server side and of
bouncing jabberd and clearing its logs and connection tables on the
Spacewalk side.

On 2013-11-01 14:43, Suh, Tim wrote:

> Perhaps there
is very simple answer for this.

> osa status is always showing
"offline" even though the managed system is online. I am wondering if
spacewalk is pinging the ip address instead of the hostname. Our managed
system is always VPNed in so the ip address changes due to dhcp
assignment. Is there a way to have spacewalk ping the hostname?

Links:
------
[1]