[Spacewalk-list] migrating spacewalk server to newer OS

George listmail.gg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:21:59 UTC 2013

Hello,

I currently have a spacewalk 1.7 still running on centos 5 ia32
For compliance reasons I would like to upgrade this one to SW 2.0 and
also centos 6.x (latest) x86_64
My spacewalk has an external Oracle database.

Now I was wondering if anyone has tips / tricks / info on how to go with
this migration ...
I was thinking:
-first upgrading the current install to spacewalk 2.0 and test.
-take a file backup and Take the machine offline (otherwise I'll have
IP/NAME conflicts below) and take a database backup
-install the new machine with centos 6.4 x64 with exactly the same
hostname (and possibly IP)
-install spacewalk 2.0 on this machine on the normal way so I have a
fresh spacewalk install
-restore the database backup + the contents of the datastore where all
rpms reside.

Are there any scripts or systems to make this process easier? (on IRC
seen some people talk about inter-sat-sync which is supposedly also
possible with spacewalk but still requires you to copy stuff like the
datastore ...)

Possible pitfalls:
-not sure what will happen if the certificates are newly generated, but
thats not that much of a problem since what I have attached to my
spacewalk is 8 spacewalk proxies so I need to reconnect those to the new
server (already done that before so thats not such an issue I think) and
OSAD doesn't work anyway on the current setup ...
-are there any other files I should copy from the current setup to the
new one outside of the datastore?

Regards,

G. (Gh0sty on the #spacewalk IRC channel)