[Spacewalk-list] Rollback in Spacewalk

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 09:42:25 UTC 2013

vijay singh wrote:
% Thanks Michael ,
% for your response i have already test  updation  by using snapshot option.
% But main problem was it didn't rollback kernel rpm. is there any other
% process to avoid kernel updation.
% This time i found exclude parameter in yum.conf which may be helpful for me
% to avoid this kernel updation. if you have any thing else please share.

Well, kernel is kind of special. Kernel rpms are not updated but
installed next to the old ones (keeping last 3 version installed on the
system). This is not a spacewalk feature it's standard yum update
behavior.

So in fact your old kernel is already on the client and you have to
reconfigure grub.conf to boot to older kernel. Unfortunately this
reconfiguration can't be done via snapshot feature (snapshot can just
install back older packages).

% Thanks in advance
%
% > % Hi All,
% > %
% > % I want to upgrade the RHEL 4 server . This is production machine. I would
% > % like how can I rollback the changes if something goes wrong? I am going
% > % upgrade the RHEL server by running command "up2date -uf".
% >
% > By upgrade you mean update lots of rpms or replace whole OS with newer
% > one (RHEL5, RHEL6)?
% >
% > In the first case you can use snapshots to restore old rpms from spacewalk.
% > In the second case this is not supported way of upgrading operating
% > system; a lot of other things have to be done other then just updating
% > rpms.
% >
% > % I have below version installed right now:
% > % "Red Hat <http://it.toolbox.com/trd/95/7/9824/> Enterprise Linux ES
% > release
% > % 4 (Nahant Update 8)". I tried to run below command on staging server but
% > i
% > % came to know that it is not supported in this version.
% > %
% > % Please let me know is there any procedure to do rollback the installed
% > rpm.
% > %
% > % up2date --list-rollbacks
% > % This feature is deprecated and no longer functional

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat