[Spacewalk-list] Is it reasonable to remove every RPM and start with a fresh satellite-sync?

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:18:52 UTC 2014

I attempted to sync our Satellite server today and encountered an error a
couple times. It ultimately resulted in a failed sync:

Exception Handler Information
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/satellite-sync", line 143, in main
    return satsync.Runner().main()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/satellite_tools/satsync.py", line 225, in main
    ret = method()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/satellite_tools/satsync.py", line 342, in
_step_packages
    self._affected_channels = self.syncer.import_packages()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/satellite_tools/satsync.py", line 1787, in
import_packages
    sync_handlers.import_packages(batch, sources)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/satellite_tools/sync_handlers.py", line 433, in
import_packages
    importer.run()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/server/importlib/importLib.py", line 651, in run
    self.submit()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/server/importlib/packageImport.py", line 323, in
submit
    self._import_signatures()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/server/importlib/packageImport.py", line 511, in
_import_signatures
    header = rhn_rpm.get_package_header(filename=full_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/common/rhn_rpm.py", line
293, in get_package_header
    hdr = ts.hdrFromFdno(file_desc)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/common/rhn_rpm.py", line
110, in hdrFromFdno
    return self.ts.hdrFromFdno(fd)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rpm/transaction.py", line 154,
in hdrFromFdno
    raise rpm.error("error reading package header")
error: error reading package header

I looked at RHN and found a resolution at
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/232023. The resolution calls for
removing any corrupt RPMs. I'm running the command provided and if I'm
interpreting this correctly just about every RPM is corrupt.

Does it make sense to just flush out /var/satellite and do a complete,
fresh sync? Is there a process for doing this cleanly so as to not break
anything?

-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me