[Spacewalk-list] Relationship between Spacewalk repo, channel, and metadata

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 19:59:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Michael Snyder
<msnyder at digitalriver.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>

> This is a question I’ve tried to research against the code base and existing
> documentation, but haven’t achieved the nirvana of enlightment.
>

> Spacewalk has the abstraction of a repository object, which can then be
> linked to one or more channels within an organization (by way of “Channels”
> -> “Manage Software Channels” -> [specific-channel-link] -> “Repositories”,
> select repositories by checkbox to be attached to the channel).
>

> The enlightenment I wish to find is:
>
> + when performing a channel synchronization, the operation follows the
> repository abstraction/container to the source (upstream) URL to synchronize
> packages into Spacewalk.  This is good so far…
>
> + but when a repository abstraction/container is selected by multiple
> channels, each channel synchronization appears to follow the repository
> upstream link and try to sync every time.
>

> What I’d like to know, if it’s possible:
>
> + to modify the spacewalk-repo-sync operation to selectively only follow the
> upstream package sync the first time.

? this question confuses me ?
Each sync operation only pulls in differentials not all of the packages.

> + subsequent channel synchronizations that reference a recently-updated
> repository accept that it was just updated, and only reference the
> Spacewalk-local repository metadata to update the channel metadata.

If I get what you are saying here the answer is no it doesn't do that exactly.
For similar functionality you could implement through a cron job look
at spacewalk-clone-by-date it can sync differentials between channels
just leave out the -d option.
here is the man file online note
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/45/idpl/21735494/numer/8/nazwa/spacewalk-clone-by-date
the tool is part of the spacewalk-utils rpm

note: I'm not sure if it syncs package groups so you may want to sync
off the parent channel once in a while just to get any updates to the
comps.xml file but if you have already synced it via this method it
should be a quick operation.