[Spacewalk-list] Extended error messages during package upgrades?

Glen Collins glenc2004 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 24 02:10:26 UTC 2014

Hi all! Been a long time but I have not had any issues with SW in a while But I do have a question if someone may know the answer. Is there any way to get extended error messages when you package upgrade installs?

I just ran into a situation where when the admin was trying to upgrade the packages on a system failed with:

This action will be executed after 12/23/14 5:34:00 PM PST
This action's status is: Failed.
The client picked up this action on 12/23/14 5:34 PM
The client completed this action on 12/23/14 5:42 PM
Client execution returned "Error while executing packages action: Could not run transaction. [[6]]" (code -1)

So what I went in myself and ran yum update by hand found there was not enough diskspace on a filesystem a certain package needed. So while it's pretty simple to diagnose from the command line it would have been easier to notice this from the gui other than "Count not run tranaction....". What would have been useful was the output stating the fact there was not enough diskspace. Any way to extend the error messages so they are more informative?

Just curious. If not, that's fine. Just a little more diagnostic work on the admin. But at 2am when things are going it sucks you have to revist after your patch window closed.

If anyone has any bright ideas it would be helpful.

Thanks

Glen Collins