[Spacewalk-list] Problem installing RHEL5 on Dell M620

Frank Paulick frank.paulick at baaderbank.de
Thu Jul 10 11:26:55 UTC 2014

Hi Ath,

yes, the network devices are connected and working.
no, i can't and don't want to make a dvd based kickstart, because i need
the network install for more than 1 Blade

my main problem is the strange behavior while installing rhel5 using
spacewalk

during my tests i came across the following scenarios:

- in Kickstart File network parameter without "--device"

     - defining system in cobbler with eth network devices:

         PXE works but system can't download Kickstart file with message
no network device found for kickstart

     - defining system in cobbler with em network devices:

         PXE works fine, system finds Kickstart file and Install works,
but installed system has no Network afterwards because em Devices do not
exist in rhel5

- in Kickstart File network parameter with "--device=eth0"

     - defining system in cobbler with em network devices:

         install runs fine, system has afterwards no network

     - defining system in cobbler with eth network devices:

         install runs fine and system has network as specified in cobbler.

When installing rhel6 the "--device" parameter is not required.
i already found the solution to my problem ("--device=eth0" parameter in
network definition in Spacewalk required).
I was only wondering about the behavior

Regards
Frank