[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk + mrepo is broken

Nicolas Michel be.nicolas.michel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:50:12 UTC 2014

Hello guys,

I'm currently trying to install/configure spacewalk in a lab environment
and see if I can manage RHEL, SUSE and Ubuntu servers from one place.

I installed spacewalk on RHEL 6.5 64 bits.
Then I needed to synchronise RHN rpm's and feed spacewalk channels with
them. I found a script which seems to answer precisely to my needs :
https://github.com/angrox/spacewalk-api-scripts/tree/master/spacewalk-rhn-sync

It is bases on mrepo so I installed it.

When  trying to generate a system id for downloading a RHN channel (with
gensystemid), I got a python traceback :

gensystemid -r 6Server -a x86_64 /srv/mrepo/rhel6s-x86_64
/usr/share/mrepo/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py:16: DeprecationWarning: the
md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5
RHN Username: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at xxxxx.xxx
RHN Password:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gensystemid", line 274, in
main()
File "/usr/bin/gensystemid", line 241, in main
except rpclib.Fault, f:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Fault'

I opened a ticket in the mrepo bug tracker:
https://github.com/dagwieers/mrepo/issues/74

After some more analysis, I found that the python RHN library provided by
the spacewalk repository (2.5.69) mask the older one provided by the RHEL
baseline (2.5.22). __ AND the API has changed __

So mrepo which probably rely on the "official" rhn library provided by the
basline of Centos and RHEL is not working anymore with the one provided by
spacewalk.

My conclusion : if spacewalk provides a library with the same name than
another one provided by the baseline, and it breaks it, it is not a clean
solution.

That said, I'm a newb with spacewalk and I would be glad to know if
something is wrong with my argumentation or the solution I try to implement.

What's your thoughts?

--
Nicolas MICHEL