[Spacewalk-list] Compatibility of 2.1 server with 2.0 clients

Milan Zázrivec mzazrivec at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 10:25:43 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 10 June 2014 12:10:57 Dan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're deploying a new Spacewalk setup and we are planning to use v2.1 (we
> could use 2.0 if needed).
>
> The issue is that our clients are Fedora 18 based for which we haven't
> found packaged v2.1 spacewalk client (see reference [1]) so we're using
> v2.0 (see [2]).
>
> I have made a test connecting v2.0 clients to v2.1 server and it seems to
> work, but I wonder if this type of configurations are officially supported.
>
> Does anyone knows about official support / any issues / caveats of this
> type configuration?
> Would it be advisable to use server 2.0 instead?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan
>
> Sources:
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients
> [2] https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients20

I'd say it's okay to use client packages from 2.0 repo with 2.1 server. There
weren't that many changes between 2.0 and 2.1, so this scenario should
work in general.

As far as support goes -- should you find any problems in your setup, we most
likely won't be building new packages for Fedora 18 and the 2.0 repo with
the fix. Though you can always re-build the 2.1 client packages from source
rpms for Fedora 18 yourself and use those builds instead.

-MZ