[Spacewalk-list] Problems with remote commands on some systems

Stephen Benjamin stephen at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 07:29:57 UTC 2014

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Edward Dore <edward.dore at freethought-internet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hopefully someone can help me with some weird behaviour that I'm seeing.
>I've got a fresh Spacewalk 1.1 install on a CentOS 5 server with
>multiple CentOS 5 clients (all 64-bit in case it makes a difference for
>some reason) and three of the registered systems are returning errors
>when running remote commands.
>
>It doesn't matter what the scheduled remote command is, but 3 of the 20
>systems registered to this Spacewalk server always fail whilst the 17
>other systems execute the exact same commands perfectly. Here's an
>example from the System History Event page:
>
>> Summary:Run an arbitrary script scheduled     by ######
>> Details:This action will be executed after 10/ 3/10 6:04:0    0 PM
>> BST.
>>
>> This action's status is: Failed.
>> The client picked up this action on 10/ 3/10 6:06:32 PM BST.
>> The client completed this action on 10/ 3/10 6:06:34 PM BST.
>> Client execution returned "Script failed" (code 1)
>>

>> Run as: root:root
>> Timeout: 600 seconds
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> echo "test"
>>

>> Start Date: 2010-10-03 18:06:32
>> End Date: 2010-10-03 18:06:32
>> Return Code: 256
>> Raw Output: view/download raw script output
>> Filtered Output:
>>

>> Time:10/ 3/10 6:06:06 PM BST
>
>The return code i   s always 256, no matter what the script actually
>returns. Both the raw output and filtered output are always blank. If I
>run the script on the host manually then the return code is 0 and there
>is the same output as on other hosts where it is working through
>Spacewalk.
>
>These scripts are usually picked up by OSAD, but even if I disable OSAD
>and manually run rhn_check --verbose there is absolutely no output
>whatsoever
>
>I've confirmed that all actions are enabled with rhn-actions-control,
>and even disabled and re-enabled all of them. I've also made sure that
>/etc/sysconfig/rhn/allowed-actions/script/run exists and has the same
>permissions as a working system.
>
>I've pretty much run out of ideas at this point, so any help from
>someone more experienced with Spacewalk would really appreciated.
>
>Edward Dore

Ran into this exact same problem, so posting the solution to this
ancient thread for future googlers.

This is caused when /var is mounted with 'noexec'.  Remove that and
remote commands will work.

--
Stephen Benjamin

Red Hat GmbH | http://de.redhat.com/ | Sitz: Grasbrunn
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 153243
Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill, Charles Peters