[Spacewalk-list] Is it possible to apply patches only from one channel?

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 08:46:54 UTC 2014

Mathew Snyder wrote:
% Let's say I want to apply all patches from just one channel. The reasoning
% being that I want to bring the application the channel serves up-to-date
% while leaving the OS as is. Is it possible to tell yum to apply patches
% from one channel/repo while only updating the bare minimum from other
% channels to satisfy the update's requirements?

Hi Mathew,

You can either name app packages to be updated and this will pull
dependencies automatically, e.g.

        yum update app1 app2 app3

or assuming that updates should not bring any new dependencies you can just
disable all other repos then your app repo, i.e.

        yum update --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=my-app-repo

The other option is on Spacewalk server you can can create erratum for your
application update and apply this erratum to your system. This will also
pull necessary dependencies.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat