[Spacewalk-list] Relationship between Katello and Spacewalk

Snyder, Chris Chris_Snyder at sra.com
Thu Mar 27 12:22:04 UTC 2014

That explains the future of Red Hat's Satellite, but this doesn't really answer the question regarding Spacewalk.  Katello, et al, is a completely different beast than Spacewalk as far as I understand.  So does that mean that Spacewalk is going to continue as is, or will it be end of life'd, or will it be completely re-written to parallel Katello?

As far as I can tell, Spacewalk as we know it is a dead end.  If RH is going to push Katello in the future, then there's no reason for them to support Spacewalk as it currently stands, and they provide a rather large amount of support for this product.  I'm sure the non-RH SW community will continue support, but will it be worth it?    I mean, most companies and admins will probably jump ship to Katello once RH moves to that completely, so SW usage will start to drop.  I guess SW will have a purpose as long as RH continues to use/support Satellite 5.x, but once that's over, I really think Spacewalk will be dead.

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see a future for Spacewalk, not if RH is going to push Katello as the new way forward.

Anybody care to give a differing opinion or correct any flaws in my understanding?  Please?!

Thx
Gopher.