[Spacewalk-list] Deploy Password Policy Config File (PAM)

Joe D midnightrunner8 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 16:01:51 UTC 2014

I'm trying to deploy password complexity policy by deploying the
/etc/pam.d/system-auth and /etc/login.defs files to client laptops. I know
the policy is set up correctly, because it works on the test system. If I
copy the contents of the message into a new laptop, that works, too.

But if I try to deploy the file using Spacewalk, I'm not able to change any
passwords after the file is deployed. If I change it back to the old
version, I can change passwords again.

It feels like a permission problem, but the read/write permissions and
SELinux contexts are correct.

We're only pushing it out to a few laptops, so it wasn't worth deploying
any sort of directory service.

Does anyone have a recommendation about what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,

JD3