[Spacewalk-list] How can my CentOS 6.5 be up to date?

Daryl Rose rosede12 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:33:00 UTC 2014

Waldirio,

I believe that is how I now have this setup.

I have a CentOS 6.5 Channel setup and under it, I have two repositories
setup, 6.5 Base and 6.5 update.

Now that I have the update repository setup, the client that I'm setting up
now show's that there are 128 packages that need to be updated.

Thank you Waldirio and everyone else who responded for helping me get this
setup correctly.

Daryl

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro <
waldirio at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> repo: repo_centos6.5
> url: http://mirror.globo.com/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
>
> Channel
> base channel: centos6.5_x86-64_base
> ####
>
> After this you will create a child channel
>
> ####
> Repo
> repo: repo_centos6.5_update
> url: http://mirror.globo.com/centos/6.5/updates/x86_64/
>
> Channel
> base channel: centos6.5_x86-64_base
> child channel label: centos6.5_x86-64_update
> ####
>
> So you will create your environment like example above to all channels you
> want in your server, but the best practice is, to your clients, you need a
> controlled environment, so you will clone your base channels to freezed
> channels, for example, to your development channels, you can create like
> bellow
>
> dev_centos6.5_x86-64
>   |-- dev_centos6.5_x86-64_update
>   | ....
>   | -- dev_epel_6_x86-64
>   | -- dev_vmware_6_x86-64
>
> remember, base channel will receive update all days (if you define this
> update frequency, in your freezed channel, you will define when will be
> updated, sure after some tests like, your application will run normally
> after update gcc or kernel, anyway, you have to test before apply in your
> production environment.
>
> More 0,50 cents, you may create base channels like:
>
> prod_<base channel name>                 # Production environment
> homolog_<base channel name>           # Homolog environment
> dev_<base channel name>                  # Development environment
>
> Let me know if was clear the explanation.
>
> Take Care
>

> ______________
> Atenciosamente
> Waldirio
> msn: waldirio at gmail.com
> Skype: waldirio
> Site: www.waldirio.com.br
> Blog: blog.waldirio.com.br
> LinkedIn: http://br.linkedin.com/pub/waldirio-pinheiro/22/b21/646
> PGP: www.waldirio.com.br/public.html
>
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Daryl Rose <rosede12 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Waldirio,
>>
>> Thank you for the information, but I'm still a bit confused on how to
>> configure the channel and repositories.
>>
>> If I read your post correctly, I should create a CentOS 6.5 channel with
>> a CentOS 6.5
>> Base repository with a 6.5 update child repository?  Is that correct?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Daryl
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro <
>> waldirio at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Daryl
>>>
>>> I sent a email to list last month about it (
>>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2014-October/msg00222.html),
>>> take a look, the idea is the same.
>>>
>>> Tell me if is ok to you, about understanding, case not, I can create a

>>> Atenciosamente