Re: [Spacewalk-list] How to properly setup Solaris Channels

Hello everyone.  I'm finally able to reply to this posting.

Here is what I have discovered.  Nested channels, at least for Solaris, does not work.  However, I now realize that I SW does not handle Solaris packages, so it really doesn't matter if I have a channel for packages, only patches.

A Solaris package is normally in the .pkg format and is installed with the pkgadd command.  A Solaris patch is totally different and is installed with patchadd command.  It appears to me that SW doesn't know how to install a package, but it can install a patch. So perhaps it doesn't know how to use the pkgadd command?

I'm a little disappointed by this, because I was hoping that SW could be used to support my Solaris servers as well.  I know that I was told during my initial post that Solaris support will be removed in future releases, but I was hoping to use it until I could find some other low cost replacement.  I can use it to apply patches, which will be very beneficial, I just can't use it for packages.

Thank you all for the reply's and feedback.

Daryl