[Spacewalk-list] Recommendations for Tuning Spacewalk

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 20:01:18 UTC 2014

The biggest thing with PostgreSQL is ram the more ram the happier it is.
The number of concurrent clients isnt a big deal because they usually
dont all connect at the same time.
The section about pgtune here
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PostgreSQLServerSetup isn't a
bad place to start.
Usually I would make a copy of the config and run pgtune against the
copy because it can accidentally create duplicate entries in the
config.
Remember the more ram on the box the better the clients will preform.

Also consider using pgpool. pgpool can be very helpful in reducing the
number of concurrent connections to the database because it can dedup
the connections. in essence if a new connection is made with the same
parameters and there is already one open which is idle and not in a
transaction it will reuse the idle connection instead of creating a
new one. with pgpool you can get away with tuning for far fewer
connection which means your server will be much faster.

finally if you are using an external PostgreSQL server or you have
installed a newer one than the one that came with your distro make
sure to update the JDBC drivers. The rest of the drivers and client
tools do not matter very much but the JDBC drivers do
you can downloat the version specific jdbc drivers here
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

unfortunately many aspects of PostgreSQL tuning are more art than
science but the basics at least are handled by the pgtune script.
Here is a good page to give you a start on the finer details
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

Also I highly suggest using table spaces so you don't need to put your
entire database under /var/lib
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html
You will have to do some selinux fixups on the directory it before
this will work correctly but I find it is well worth the effort.

In addition if you want to go really deep you can look at partitioning
tables which can be really helpful on larger installs but it requires
a quite a more lot more work during upgrades the ensure every thing
goes right.